About the Blog

Hey guys! Thanks for checking out my personal blog. This is really just a deposit for what's on my mind at the time. I remember watching a professional producer talking about how he improves his create mind, and one of his methods was to consistently write a diary to releave his mind of thoughts, so that's what this is all about. If I have something on my mind, whether its a story, real life drama, and just ideas I have I'll be writing them here!

Monday, September 19, 2011

Producing - The tale of two worlds

Being a DJ for over a year make me think I was due for a change, a change into producing. With this in mind, I figured with my vast knowledge in how music flows, and all the different dynamics I could just jump right into it. How I was so poorly mistaken.

After the great succession of my SC Mix, I felt it was time to make my own music. Spinning and mixing tracks is fun, but it just doesnt give me the fufillment that I feel producing to give. When I make a really good mix, people always say 2 things. Really nice mix man... and... Can I get the playlist? I hate that question. It's like, thanks for putting a ton of work in your mix, but all I really care about is supporting the artist. I feel like an advertisement on a website, it shows you something, but thats it. Very few people make it as DJ's that don't produce. So I jumped in.

I bought myself a midi-controller, got my hands on a legal copy of Ableton Live, and... nothing. It wasn't like I just got to making music, these programs have one hell of a learning curve. I had so many ideas playing in my head, but had no real way of translating them into this program. How the hell was I to make an epic wobble? I had clips I wanted to use, but how could I properly sample and manipulate them? It wasn't like sitting down to a piano and playing the keys you heard in your head, it was like openning the electrical box at your house as you were to setup solar panels, may think its a simple concept, but in application its much harder than it seems.

So now I am going to stop DJing, stop trying to fiddle with this program, and spend the next 2 weeks watching tutorials and running through them. I want to know this program like I know my brother, everything that works and doesn't. So wish me luck in the journey of accumulating knowledge, and hopefully I'll come out the other end a music producer.

No comments:

Post a Comment